The Scarlet

The Student News Site of Milford High School

The Scarlet

The Scarlet

Poll

Which of these environmental issues is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

8 Artists You’ve Never Heard of to Broaden Your Music Horizons

Are you looking for new music to listen to? Check out these upcoming musicians.

1. Nxdia (They/He/She) 1.9M monthly listeners

Nxdia is an alternative pop artist who was born in Egypt and grew up in Manchester, UK. Their earliest release dates back to May 22, 2020, and is titled “Eyes on Me,” but they have continued to release music throughout the past four years. Nxdia has embraced their identity as a queer and culturally diverse artist, hoping to create a safe space for people who do not often fit into social norms. Their most recent release is called “She Likes a Boy” and was released on January 12, 2024. This song took a presence on social media platforms like TikTok, attracting queer listeners across the globe. Nxdia’s songs are an effortless mix of relatable lyrics and unique attitudes that intrigue fans of all backgrounds.

2. Dodie (She/They) 1.6M monthly listeners

Dodie is a 28-year-old singer-songwriter who was born and raised in England. Her career began in 2007 as a vlogger but quickly transitioned to a musical career with the release of her first EP in 2016. Then, in 2019, she released her first album. You may know her song “Monster” from a trend on TikTok that was developed shortly after the song’s release. Currently, she has many singles and two full albums which have gained popularity amongst her fans. With these releases, Dodie has been able to establish herself as a singer to keep an eye out for. Her soft-spoken tone and intimate lyrics resonate with fans who can relate to Dodie’s experience as not only an artist but as a person.

3. Mad Tsai (He/Him) 1.6M monthly listeners

Mad Tsai is a singer-songwriter based in Los Angeles, California who gained popularity on TikTok after his song “Boy Bi” went viral. The song was released on December 3, 2020, as a bisexual coming-out anthem. This Taiwanese and Peruvian artist has written countless songs about self-discovery, mental health, and identity from a young age. His passion for expressing himself through music has grasped the attention of fans starting from his first release. Since then, he has continued to release music with his most recent single “boys beware” which was released on November 10, 2023. Tsai has also just announced a world tour starting in May of 2024. It is clear that the career of Mad Tsai has only just begun and will continue to impress the public for years to come.

4. Maddie Zahm (She/Her) 1.3M monthly listeners

Maddie Zahm started as a small-town girl in Idaho who would soon find her place in a world of music stars. From Leading worship at her local church to American Idol, Zahm has been there and done that. Initially attempting to pursue a career in country music, she realized that she needed to truly discover herself before jumping into a music career. Using music to help her, she worked through various traumas and healed from her past, creating songs she thought would never be heard. But soon enough these encapsulated memories would be released as songs on her debut EP titled “You Might Not Like Her.” Zahm has learned to let music heal her, and her listeners have admired her for allowing them to do the same. With countless singles and a recently released album, Maddie Zahm has explored her identity, relationships, emotions, and body image. Her songs are a mix of catchy, relatable, and deeply intimate, drawing in fans from the first note and making Maddie Zahm a name that will stand out in the music industry for years to come. 

5. Orla Gartland (She/Her) 910.5k monthly listeners

Orla Gartland is an Irish musician who merges styles of traditional Irish folk music and indie rock to establish a unique style in music and lyrics. She began her career with a hit single in 2012 followed by her second EP “Roots”. Her debut album was released in 2021 just before establishing her band FIZZ. From a young age, Gartland was taught to play the fiddle, violin, and other instruments, but found a strong passion for the guitar. Through her exploration of various instruments and genres, she has collaborated with various artists like Beabadoobee and Cavetown. If you have seen the Netflix series “Heartstopper” you may recognize Gartland’s songs “Why am I like this” and “Fall in Love with a Girl.” Continuing to establish her own unique music and artistic style, Orla Gartland only grows as a figure in the public eye. She truly is a one-of-a-kind musician who will forever be recognized for her unforgettable approach to songwriting and ear-catching releases.

6. Towa Bird (She/Her) 217.1k monthly listeners

Towa Bird is a twenty-four-year-old artist who has made tremendous strides in the music industry during her career. Many fans know her from her opening set on Renee Rapp’s iconic Snow Hard Feelings tour, while others have discovered her unique music through other outlets. Growing up in Thailand and London, she began playing music at fourteen in her first band “The Glass Onions.” She would eventually drop out of university to pursue a career in music writing for other artists. However, she continued to post videos of her impressive guitar talents and musical inclinations. This Artist has yet to release an album, although it is in the works, but she has still reached listeners across the globe with five original songs and a Live EP from her tour with Renee Rapp. As a lesbian icon, Towa Bird has developed the confidence and skill to establish herself as a true rock star. 

7. Alix Page (She/Her) 40.2k monthly listeners

Alix Page is a 21-year-old singer-songwriter who has developed as an artist and young adult from the release of her first song just before the start of a global pandemic. She released her first EP in 2022 and, since then, has toured as an individual artist, working with and supporting fellow musicians like Gracie Abrams and Waxahatchee. Page grew up in Southern California and quickly noticed her talents as an instrumentalist and vocalist. Her family is not inherently musical, but these talents came to Page naturally, making her stand out from the crowd. She is passionate about creating uniquely interesting and innovative music that catches the attention of audiences. As an artist on the rise, there is much that the world has yet to see of Alix Page, and her fans can not wait to continue following her on her musical journey.

8. Savana Santos (She/Her) 15.5k monthly listeners

Savana Santos was born in Illinois and has been writing songs from a young age. Her music career began with the launch of a music trio named “Avenue Beat.” This trio gained fame from a viral song called “F2020” which became popular during the COVID-19 pandemic. Since the popularity of this song, the trio has disbanded, allowing each member to embrace their talents independently. For Santos, this means establishing herself as an independent artist with the release of her debut album “1” on October 27, 2023. With fifteen tracks and a unique album cover, Savana’s debut album has allowed her to display her individuality with confidence and style.