The Scarlet

The Student News Site of Milford High School

The Scarlet

The Scarlet

Poll

Which of these environmental issues is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Valentine Reads for Every Type of Valentine

For the Sad Singles

The Lovely War by Julie Berry

This book is about the lives of young romantics in World War II. Told from the perspectives of the Greek gods, we see the lives of four teenagers on the front. As these stories entangle, you will experience the character’s grief, love, turmoil, and jealousy. These stories seamlessly intertwine for the whole book, even though these people are all so different. An American, a French Girl, an English woman, and an English boy, come together as friends, lovers, and family. Do be warned, this book will make you cry, laugh, and reflect on the monstrosities of war and love.

CONTENT WARNINGS:

Racism, War, Death, Sexual Assault, Mental illness, Violence

For the Valentines Couple

Heartstopper by Alice Oseman

An adorable love story with sequels and a Binge-Worthy Netflix series, Heartstopper will make you laugh, have butterflies in your stomach, and kick your feet. Because it’s fast paced and a graphic novel, reading with your partner will be easy, and after you are done with books one and two, which takes about an hour and a half, you can binge watch the series with delicious snacks. Though, you might not need them because the actors look like snacks themselves. This series will bring all the feels, and could make a reading date extend for a few hours.

CONTENT WARNINGS:

Homophobia, Sexual Assault, Bullying

The Valentines Vibes

Kate in Waiting by Becky Albertalli

The straight theater girl and the gay best friend are in love with the same hot theater guy, again. Kate and Andy have been best friends forever, and they have always boded on their crushes, as their tastes are exactly the same. But this crush is different, it’s serious, it’s real. As their friendship gets dicey with jealousy, Kate has to learn to be her own person, to shine without limits. With romance on the brain, it’s exciting to see how this plot pans out, twisting and turning the whole time. This novel is adorable and romantic, but also about embracing yourself and what YOU want.

CONTENT WARNINGS:

Bullying, Cursing, Alcohol, Homophobia, Transphobia, Body Shaming