The Scarlet

The Student News Site of Milford High School

The Scarlet

The Scarlet

Poll

Which of these environmental issues is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Yoga For All – A New Course Offered for MHS Students

MHS French Teacher, Lydia Buckley, offers a new yoga class for students for the 2024 school year.
Lydia Buckley

A new personal well-being and health-orientated class has just been added to the list of possible classes for Milford High School. But what is this new class? Lydia Buckley, one of the French teachers, has been working hard to start her new elective, Yoga For All.

She has just completed her 300 hours of yoga certification as a Registered Yoga Trainer, and is working towards her 500 hours. She is one of several teachers who Milford Public Schools has sponsored to go through this training, which is offered by the Breathe For Change Organization.

Ms. Buckley first became interested in yoga while she was being treated for breast cancer at Dana Farber. She then got the idea for her class when she started offering yoga once a month to the kids at Saturday school, who all around enjoyed the class.

Several students are already interested in taking this class. During her voluntary classes at Saturday school, many students chose to attend, and had a great time. “Both students who didn’t really exercise and athletes alike attended the class and really had fun,” Buckley said.

She hopes that the half-year, credit-bearing class will help students relax and destress. “The class isn’t only about the physical aspects,” she said. “I want to also teach about the mental side of yoga, how to regulate your breathing, strategies for calming oneself, and things like that.”

She also hopes that the material she will cover in the class will help those who are anxious and need clarity in their lives. “I started yoga during a hard time in my life, and I hope to make those going through issues feel welcome” said Buckley.

The class has most expenses included. “All you need is yourself, an open attitude, and water. Mats and [blocks] are included.” The class is supposed to be a fun and relaxing time. “I don’t want my students to worry about needing anything, I just want them to have fun and relax.”

“Some people also hesitate to go to yoga because they think that they need some expensive outfit with a tank top and yoga pants. That’s not what this class is. I do yoga in whatever outfit I’m wearing, that’s how I’ll teach the class. But if you want to buy an outfit and change, go for it!”

According to MHS principal, Mr. Otlin, “[The class] will likely need 25 or more requests in order to enroll 15 or more students.” Ms. Buckley has already received interest from many different students, and she is hoping more will be interested.

The good thing about this class is the experience is personalized to each student. “It doesn’t matter if you are just starting out, or a yoga lover, the class is meant to fit your level. I won’t push you or hold you back.” Ms. Buckley said.

“I am grateful to the administration, especially Mr. Otlin, Mr. Chaplin, and Mrs. Kingkade for helping and letting me get this opportunity to teach a class like this. I hope that students will take this opportunity to join me in having a great time doing yoga.”

Buckley adds “If you are interested in having a nice and relaxing class and just want to get more active or try out yoga, please feel free to contact me at [email protected]. I would love to hear from you!”