The Scarlet

The Student News Site of Milford High School

The Scarlet

The Scarlet

Poll

Which of these environmental issues is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Women’s March Madness: Finally Recognized

ESPN

On Sunday, it was the final game of Women’s March Madness. University of South Carolina (USC) and Iowa State were both the number 1 seeds for their divisions. USC redeemed themselves 87-75 beating Iowa. USC and Iowa versed each other in last year’s games during the final four in which Iowa won. USC went undefeated with a 38-0 season and Iowa had a 34-5 record. 

Andraya Carter, Elle Duncan, Carolyn Peck, Chiney Ogwumile, and Aliyah Boston who plays for the Indiana Fever were the sportscasters for Sunday’s match. They are all women and African American who all have incredible knowledge for basketball, just as much knowledge and expertise as any male announcer. 

Friday’s NCAA Women’s Iowa-UConn final four game, was the most watched match in ESPN history. Iowa won 71-69, making them one of the final two teams of March Madness. As stated by NBC News, “Friday’s figure is higher than every World Series and NBA Finals game last year. ESPN said the game peaked at 17 million viewers.” 

It has taken decades for women’s basketball to be recognized in similar fashion as men’s. The WNBA was founded in 1996 which was only 26 years ago. While the NBA was created in 1949, 75 years ago. Women’s sports has taken the backseat to men’s sports ever since they originated. However, in recent years, there has been a large attraction by viewers, officials, and critics. 

Iowa’s, Caitlan Clark, is the number 1 player in the WNBA’s mock draft. Clark scored 30 of the 75 points in the final game and her final game as an Iowa Hawkeyes. Kamila Cardoso, a senior for the Gamecocks is the number 4 pick for the draft. Cardoso was named the Defensive Player of the Year after USC beat Iowa 87-75.

Caitlin Clark (Iowa), Kamila Cardoso (USC), Cameron Brink (Stanford), Rickea Jackson (Tennessee),  Jacy Sheldon (Ohio State), Angel Reese (LSU), Paige Beuckers (UConn) Juju Watkins (USC), and many other amazing female basketball players have had fantastic seasons. 

Back in 2023, both Angel Reese from LSU and Caitlin Clark from Iowa State were all the media wanted to report on. Both players were heavily criticized for “trash talking” on the court. Reese and Clark denied it was anything but competitive banter. According to CBS News, Reese stated, “Me and Caitlin Clark don’t hate each other. I want everybody to understand that. It’s just a super competitive game.” Although, men players don’t get blasted all over the news because they have “locker room talk,” when women do it, it’s “aggressive” or “rude.” 

In the NBA vs. WNBA All-Star game, history was made between Stephen Curry and Sabrina Ionescu. They went head-to-head in a 3-point challenge where Curry scored 29 baskets while Ionescu made 26. She “lost” by only 3 points against a two-time MVP. Ionescu proved that she has just as much skill as someone like Steph Curry. However, she and other women athletes shouldn’t need to prove themselves to anyone. 

Women’s sports have not always been the most popular like men’s sports have been. Which is unfair and sexist towards the women athletes who work hard doing what they are good at. The 2023-2024 women’s college basketball season proved that they should be valued and respected just as much as any men’s team.