The Scarlet

The Student News Site of Milford High School

The Scarlet

The Scarlet

Poll

Which of these environmental issues is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Usher’s Super Bowl Halftime Show: He Was the “Superstar” of the Night

Concert photo from Jackson State University, 2024

Whoever said the Super Bowl is only about watching football must be mistaken. Usher stole the show and left everyone speechless with that halftime show. The Super Bowl might as well have been a concert starring Usher featuring Patrick Maholmes and Brock Purdy. At 45 years old, he never lost his touch to put the crowds in a trance. It was the perfect combination of modern yet classic hip-hop with Usher’s flirtatious touch. Whether you are or aren’t a fan of Usher, you definitely will be after this performance. 

Usher opened with “Caught Up”, sitting on a throne like the king he is. The dancers performed in a chic circus way with all the fun and exotic outfits. Every moment Usher was singing, he was also pulling out his slick dance moves. From the beginning, the whole stadium was filled with bright lights and lasers so you couldn’t miss it even if you wanted to. 

After that once in a lifetime show, many can see why Usher has won eight Grammys. Who couldn’t get up and start dancing with him after those swag routines? He sang bits and pieces from his iconic songs: “U Don’t Have to Call”, “Superstar”, and “Love in this Club.”

The camera then panned closer and closer to the stage where an oddly shaped, red piano stood with someone sitting at the bench. That “someone” was no other than Alicia Keys playing “If I Ain’t Got You.” Her sparkly red dress left everyone’s jaw on the floor. As Keys and Usher were singing the popular “My Boo,” their chemistry was growing while dancing with each other. At that moment, you were one of two people. One who wished you were Keys or the other who hoped to be Usher.

Who wasn’t in awe while Usher was taking off his shirt, giving the performance of his life? His high notes blew left everyone saying “OMG”. The marching band that was there, added a nice touch in the overall crazy hype show. 

Usher changed into this sparkly blue and black Dolce and Gabbana outfit that made me wish I owned it. According to People Magazine “Usher revealed little about his performance in the month leading up — but did emphasize that he wanted to pay tribute to Black artists on football’s biggest night.”

His backup dancers came out on roller skates and were doing all types of tricks on them. Usher then skated out like he had been doing it his whole life and all the focus was on him. I have never seen something like that during the halftime show! 

During “Bad Girl”, special guest H.E.R absolutely shredded on her guitar. Some might even say that she stole the show.

“Turning Down for What” made everyone more excited even though he was wrapping up the show. Usher closed the memorable halftime show with “Yeah” bringing out Lil’ Jon, will.i.am, and Ludacris. This will go down in history as a one of the better performances during the Super Bowl. I think everyone can agree to bring Usher back out for another concert while the Chiefs and 49ers play in overtime.